It’s been a while since I returned from our roadtrip around Scotland, and I guess you could say that I’ve been procrastinating on writing this blog post since then, only because I have just SO. MUCH. CONTENT. Our two-and-a-half-week roadtrip starting and ending in Edinburgh and encompassing much of the famous North Coast 500 was perhaps the favourite holiday I have ever been on.
Accept this blog post as an introductory brain dump of everywhere we went and some of my favourite places and photos, but know that I will be writing more in-depth guides because I have so many amazing recommendations.
Here’s our itinerary. I think we pretty much nailed the timing and route, but know that we took things a little slower than some might like.
- Day 1 – arrive in Edinburgh and explore the city
- Day 2 – drive to Glen Coe via Loch Lomond
- Day 3 – drive from Glen Coe to Fort William (with detour)
- Day 4 – climb Ben Nevis
- Day 5 – drive from Fort William to Borve on the Isle of Skye via the Glenfinnan Viaduct and a quick stop at Eilean Donan Castle
- Day 6 – explore the Isle of Skye (basically the most breathtaking place I’ve ever been), including the Talisker Distillery, Fairy Pools and Portree
- Day 7 – Isle of Skye: Old Man of Storr and Fairy Glen (my fave day)
- Day 8 – drive from the Isle of Skye to Gairloch via Applecross and Beinn Eighe nature reserve
- Day 9 – drive from Gairloch to Lochinver with stops at Inverewe Gardens and Ullapool
- Day 10 – Lochinver to Rhiconich (middle of nowhere!) with walk along coast to Old Man of Stour
- Day 11 – drive to Thurso with stops at Balnakeil and Smoo Caves
- Day 12 – Thurso to Inverness with visit to Dunrobin Castle (THE BEST CASTLE EVER)
- Day 13 – Inverness to Aviemore in the Cairngorms
- Day 14 – explore Aviemore and surrounding area including Loch an Eilean
- Day 15 – more Cairngorm exploring: Strathspey steam railway and local hike
- Day 16 – drive to St Andrews to stay at excellent Fairmont Hotel
- Day 17 – back to Edinburgh to hop on the lunchtime train home
Is there anything in particular I should cover in my future blog posts? Let me know!